Housing Choice Voucher Program - Winter 2018
Family Times
What's InsideBreak it Down - Reporting Income Changes
Youth Empowerment Programs - RSVP to attend on January 25, 2018
Success Lives Here - Your Success Story Could be Featured Here!
Did you know? - Important Information and Resources That Can Help
Five Inspirational Quotes for the New Year
Winter Energy Saving Tips - US Department of Energy
Inclement Weather Notice
Connect to Your Community - Follow Resident Services on Facebook.
Break it Down
Reporting Income Changes
Reporting Income ChangesAll Housing Choice Voucher Program participants are required to report increases in household income within 10 days. HADC staff will calculate a rent adjustment to include the new income. Participants can also report decreases in their income, and will receive a rent adjustment.

Please keep in mind that income changes must be verified. To help avoid delays in processing your income change, submit written verification of the income with your request. Written verification can include benefit letters, check stubs, employment separation letters, new hire letters, and child support print-outs.

Income changes must be reported in writing, and you can utilize a Change of Income and/or Family Composition Form to report your income change. The Change of Income form and income verifications can be submitted in person, via email at interims@dekalbhousing.org, via fax at 404-270-2643, or by mail. Please allow up to 30 days for HADC staff to process income changes.

Income Sources and Written Verifications
The list below includes income sources that must be reported and the required verification documents for each source. Income must be reported and documentation submitted for all household members.
  • Wages from employment: last 4 current consecutive paystubs, Employment Verification Form, or hire letter.
  • End of employment: separation letter or Employment Verification Form.
  • Self-employment income: copy of most recent tax return, copy of business license, and copy of the profit/loss statements including receipts.
  • Unemployment benefits: most recent copy of the Award Letter issued from the Department of Labor.
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF): most recent copy of the Award Letter issued from the Department of Family and Children Services.
  • Child Support and Alimony: current payment history issued from the Division of Child Support Services covering the past 12 months, Court Order, and/or Divorce Decree indicating monthly payment.
  • Pension/Annuity: most recent copy of Award Letter.
  • SSI/Social Security Benefits: copy of current Award Letter from the Social Security Administration.
  • Contributions: documentation for income support received on a regular basis from individuals not living with you (e.g.: signed statement from the person providing the income support verifying the amount and frequency). Documentation must include the provider’s contact information.
Youth Empowerment Programs
Youth Empowerment ProgramsHADC affiliate Resident Service Corporation, Chris180 and DeKalb WorkSource will host an informational session for youth between the ages of 16-24 on Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 9:45 a.m. in the HADC Training Room. Join us for prizes, fun and giveaways and learn about GED Programs, Circles, Youth Build and other training/educational opportunities. If you or a member of your household is interested in attending, please RSVP by email to FSS@dekalbhousing.org by January 22, 2018.
Success Lives Here
Your Success Story Could be Featured in Family Times!
Have you, your children, or a member of your household accomplished a goal or achieved a milestone that you would like to share with us? If so, we want to learn more! We may use your story in Housing Authority of DeKalb County publications, testimonials, or for follow-up stories.
Success Lives Here
Some examples of success:
  • High school graduation
  • College graduation
  • Enrolling in college
  • Starting a business
  • Buying a home
  • Getting a new job or a promotion
  • Reaching a personal goal
  • Making the Honor Roll
  • Improving your credit score
  • Improving your health or wellness

Tell us more!

You can submit your story, or request more information by emailing Katherine Cole at katherine.cole@dekalbhousing.org.
Did You Know?
Did You Know?HCV participants cannot rent from relatives
The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) prohibits families receiving Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program assistance from renting from relatives. This means that a participant who rents a unit owned by a relative is in violation of the Family Obligations and can be terminated from the HCV program and/or required to repay assistance. The owner of the unit would also be in violation of the Housing Assistance Payment Contract.

HUD defines relatives as immediate family members including parents, children, grandparents, grandchildren, sisters, brothers, or any member of the assisted family.

Resources on the HUD WebsiteResources on the HUD Website
The HUD website provides valuable resources that can help you find answers and address your housing needs. Directly from the homepage, you can select topics including buy a home, find rental assistance, file a discrimination complaint, learn about the Housing Choice Voucher Program, and find my local Public Housing Agency. Within each of these topics are links to articles, guides, forms, resources, and more.
Five Inspirational Quotes for the New Year
  1. "Step out of the history that is holding you back.
    Step into the new story you are willing to create." – Oprah Winfrey
  2. "To have something you never had,
    you have to do something you’ve never done." – Unknown
  3. "Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors,
    and let every new year find you a better man." – Benjamin Franklin
  4. "You are never too old to set another goal, or to dream a new dream." – C.S. Lewis
  5. "Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try." – Unknown
Winter Energy Saving Tips
Winter Energy Saving TipsUS Department of Energy
As the temperatures go down, there are simple steps you can take to help prevent your energy bills from going up. The US Department of Energy offers valuable steps owners and tenants can take to decrease their energy costs related to heating their homes. For the complete article, please visit: https://energy.gov/energysaver/fall-and-winter-energy-saving-tips. It is important for owners and tenants to communicate regarding the feasibility and/or appropriateness of implementing the below suggestions.
  • Take advantage of heat from the sun by opening the curtains of sun-facing windows during the day and closing them at night.
  • Cover drafty windows with heavy duty plastic and/or insulated drapes.
  • Adjust your temperature down 10-15 degrees when you are asleep or away from the house, and consider installing a programmable thermostat.
  • Find and seal air leaks throughout the home. Visit the article for guides on finding and sealing air leaks.
  • Maintain your heating systems by scheduling service and replacing filters. Visit the article for guides on maintaining your heating system.
  • Reduce heat loss from the fireplace by closing the damper when a fire is not burning.
  • Lower your water heating costs by turning down the water heater temperature to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Inclement Weather
Inclement WeatherIn the event of inclement weather, HADC will follow DeKalb County Schools/DeKalb County Government schedule.
Connect to Your Community
Stay in touch with your community by following the Resident Services page on Facebook!Follow Resident Services on Facebook for motivation on your path to self-sufficiency and to keep you informed about resources and upcoming events such as job fairs and training opportunities. Link here to follow RSC on Facebook!
HCV Program Contact Information